My self-esteem has really taken a beating lately. These are few things I recently forgot to do. This is not for lack of trying or caring, and of course, I have all the apps, gizmos, and gadgets, designed to avoid such oversights.
1) Lock the front door. Not only did I not lock the door, but it was left ajar, when our family left for three days. If the neighbor kids threw a party in our house while we were away, they did a great job cleaning up after themselves. I only found one mysterious, half-empty beer bottle.
2) Submit my daughter’s bio for her role as Tiger Lily in Peter Pan. At least no one can accuse me of being a stage door mom. Most of the bios require editing because they can’t possibly devote a whole page enumerating the astounding list of accomplishments, awards, lessons, and performances, for each child. My daughter’s bio was concise; first and last name.
3) Bring in the milk on Mondays. I generally forget to do this every week. Having a milkman deliver the milk, saves me from forgetting to buy milk at the grocery store.
4) Re-enroll my children in their school for next year. Luckily, I was sent a friendly reminder.
5) I remembered to sign my son up for the afterschool Lego class. But I forgot I remembered, and he missed the first four classes, out of a total of seven. I played dumb when he mentioned there had been several classes prior to the first one he attended.
6) I forgot where Seattle is located. Even the most geographically ignorant among us, knows that Seattle is as west as you can drive, before falling into salt water. I was tired and confused, after a long day of skiing with my kids and my sister. We ended up in a charming, Swiss-style hamlet located east of the mountain pass. Oops. The great news is that we had a lot of extra time to belt out Beyoncé, Celine, and Mariah ballads. Let’s keep this one from my husband. Not about heading home in the wrong direction, but the music selection.